Equipment for the recording and processing of EEG signals applicable to the research and analysis of the brain-computer interfaces
General objectives and estimated results
The general objective of the project consists in increasing the productivity of LAMBDA COMMUNICATIONS Ltd, by cooperating and offering it access to the research performed by the research organization COMFRAC R&D PROJECT EXPERT LTD, Bucharest, and in connection with the development of certain innovative solutions and methods for recording and processing EEG signals applicable to the research and analysis of the brain-computer interfaces. The non-conventional methods for recording and processing EEG signals applicable to the research and analysis of the brain-computer interfaces and the hardware equipment that is most wanted to be developed through this project, revolutionize the acquisition process in real time of very reduced level biosignals and are of great importance for LAMBDA COMMUNICATIONS LTD, which aims at implementing it afterwards in production and operating on a very high potential market, according to the business plan draw up for this specific purpose.
LAMBDA COMMUNICATIONS Ltd has as main business activity object appliances, instruments, apparels and electrical equipments manufacturing both for industrial and consumer use. The company launches yearly at least one new small and medium complexity product, designed, developed and manufactured solely on its capacity, products that represent the best creation in their area of expertise. From their desire to develop the production activity by creating new and more complex equipments, with a important impact on the market and, implicitly, with an increased possibility for series manufacturing, LAMBDA COMMUNICATIONS Ltd aims at a critical investigation of new solutions, namely obtaining new knowledge and competencies which to allow real time registering and processing biosignals for creating the brain-computer interfaces.
Therefore there are going to be used different analogical and numerical analysis and synthesis methods that are going to be detailed below. It is going to be established the superiority of these methods towards the conventional methods used to acquire biosignals, by multifunctional testing, while the most performing structures will be developed for homologation
The specific objectives of the project are the following:
- Performing studies and research activities by the research organization in he next research directions: new sampling, conditioning, analog/numerical conversion and numerical processing of EEG signals from the head skin methods, that can satisfy simultaneously the following special requirements: to eliminate the use of conductive solutions (such as jell), at the surface of the electrode, to remove the particular preparation of the epidermis (degreasing, abrasive cleaning, hair removal, etc.), to be long term useable (miniaturized as much as possible, up to an acceptable level, to transmit wireless the data to an analysis system, to interpret and use the results, to have independent charging (wireless and extremely low consume), to reduce drastically the effect of perturbations and of artifacts;
- Simulation and modeling the behavior of the functional modules, in correlation with the physical-mechanical properties of the system;
- Carrying out experimental models for the research structures, testing and validating the constructive and functional solutions which resulted from them;
- Identifying and optimizing the most performing structures, that will be developed, tested, evaluated and homologated; studies with relation to the life span and technological and market impact;
- Technological transfer of the research results from the research organization to the enterprise, with a view to future production implementation through an innovation project;
- Gaining and validating the industrial property rights over the research results, process performed by the enterprise.
Through the assumed general and specific objectives, the projects responds completely and contributes to the general objective of the Sectoral Operational Program “Increase of Economic Competitiveness” (POS CCE), that is the increase of Romanian companies’ productivity and reducing the disparities compared to the average productivity of EU, the specific objective of the Priority Axis 2 (Increase of the R&D capacity, stimulation of the cooperation between RDI institutions and enterprises, and increase of enterprises’ access to RDI) and the objective of Operation 2.1.1. (generating results of economic interest and stimulating technological transfer of the results of the research and scientific knowledge in the economic field, by financing the R&D projects, which will generate directly applicable results in the economy).
The National Authority for Scientific Research as Intermediary Organism (IO) exercises the responsibilities of and for the Ministry of Economy, Commerce and Business Environment as Management Authority (MA) for the Sectoral Operational Program “Increase of Economic Competitiveness” (POS CCE).
Project time frame
The implementation period has 24 months, from the date when the contract was signed. The contract ceases its validity 5 years from the official / partial closure of the Sectoral Operational Program “Increase of Economic Competitiveness” (POS CCE) in accordance with the enforced national and community regulations.
The source of financing: structural funds through POS CCE + partners co-financing.
Total value of the project: 6.718.600 RON
Eligible value of the project: 5.300.000 RON
Non-eligible value of the project: 1.418.600 RON